THOUGHT LEADERSHIP FOR HIGHER EDUCATION SINCE 2001: Reach out to us.
Doug Gapinski
Strategist

Doug Gapinski

v 312.375.2687 | e doug.gapinski@mstoner.com

Strategizing
80%
Jack-of-All-Trading
50%
Twin-Raising
97%

Connect with Doug

LinkedIn-icon Twitter-icon GooglePlus-icon

Favorites

• Typography
Specialized
• Mashup bands including Hood Internet and the Kleptones
• Post-modern fiction

Great strategist/good man/bad wizard.

I am a strategist for mStoner. What’s a strategist? I have an answer for you here. I started working at mStoner as a freelance designer in 2005. I started on as a full-time employee in 2007 after being cajoled by the charming and charismatic Voltaire Santos Miran. Other job titles I’ve held at mStoner have included design director and creative director. For a while, a few of us had sub-titles and mine was “mobile and responsive discipline lead.”

Things I’ve done in my time at mStoner:

  • lead development of mobile sites as a product offering
  • lead development of responsive sites as a product offering
  • co-lead the addition of print services as a product offering
  • co-conceive and design the UI of the intergalactic EDUniverse
  • a veritable cornucopia conference presentations
  • creative lead on several award-winning CASE projects

I owe maybe 75 percent of my successful accomplishments over the past seven years to opportunities given to me and supported by the partners at this company and by team members I have worked with. How the other 25 percent breaks down is debatable, but it would make a really boring debate.

Selected current and previous clients, in no particular order:

  • Brown University
  • Columbia University
  • Northwestern University
  • Loyola University Chicago
  • Kellogg School of Management
  • North Carolina A&T State University
  • Oakton Community College
  • Trinity College Hartford
  • Webster University
  • Middlesex School

Before mStoner…
I was a freelance designer and art director working on web and print projects for a number of clients, including the Obama 2008 campaign, Sears, Kenmore, Lexmark, and Indiana University. I also taught screen printing classes at the Museum of Contemporary Art in Chicago.

Other
I have a beautiful wife who I’m convinced is the universe’s gift to me in answer to my childhood obsession with Wonder Woman, twin sons, and I live in a beautiful place that has many nicknames: the Emerald City, Jet City, The City of Flowers, The Rainy City, The Coffee Capitol, The City of Goodwill. I keep a small site of personal ephemera at minuti.ae and I write about multi-device design and development with Erik Runyon at responsive.ly.

 

Posts by Doug

More from Doug